Hello, #friendsofTenaciousM!! Happy last Sunday of January. Have an amazing week!
This Candy Bar Stash Chocolate Cake starts with a rich chocolate cake with a tender, moist crumb and is topped with a sweet chocolate buttercream made with butter, cocoa powder and cream.
If that isn’t enough, take it up a notch and add your favorite chocolate candy bars. Once the cake is frosted, top it with a variety of candy bars making sure to do it right away as the frosting acts like a glue once it sits. It’s fun to give dimension to the cake by using Kit Kat, Crunch Bars, or even full-size candy bars that stand up on the cake.
- Chocolate Cake:
- 1¾ cup Flour
- 1¾ cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Cocoa (high quality)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Oil (canola or coconut oil)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1½ teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 cup Hot Water
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 1½ cups Butter, softened
- 1 cup Cocoa
- 5 cups Powdered Sugar
- ⅓ cup Cream, Half n Half or Milk
- Candy Bars:
- Kit Kat
- Crunch Bar
- Reeses Peanut Butter Cup
- Milky Way
- M & M’s
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. If you have a flour sifter, sift all dry ingredients.
- In mixing bowl, beat oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla for 1 minute. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Pour in hot water and mix together.
- Spray two 8 or 9 inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. You can also use three 8 inch cake pans for this recipe. Pour batter evenly into each pan. Bake at 22-27 minutes. Place toothpick or cake tester in the center of cake to check if it comes out clean.
- Let cool before frosting.
- To make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- In mixing bowl, cream together Butter, Cocoa, Powdered Sugar, and Cream until light and fluffy. You may want to add more cream or milk depending on consistency. Once cake has cooled and has been removed from pans, frost each layer with frosting.
- Top with your favorite chocolate candy bars — Kit Kat, Crunch Bar, Snickers, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Twix, Milky Way, Butterfinger, and M & M’s.
- This is one baked good that gets even better the next day, if covered.
- *If you would like to make a triple layer cake, 1½ times the recipe and use three 8 or 9 inch cake pans
You’ll hardly be able to bake these little gems before they’re devoured! Enjoy!
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 cups butter, softened at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons instant espresso
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate morsels
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepare Cakes: Preheat oven to 325°.
- Whisk together ingredients.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups butter in a medium bowl at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yolk disappears.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups buttermilk and next 2 ingredients.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed after each addition. Fold in bittersweet chocolate morsels.
- Pour batter into 2 lightly greased (with vegetable cooking spray) 12-cup Bundt brownie pans, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake at 325° for 26 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze: Combine semisweet chocolate morsels, 3 Tbsp. butter, and 1 Tbsp. corn syrup in a microwave-safe glass bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until morsels begin to melt, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Stir in 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
- Prepare Buttermilk Glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. buttermilk, and 1/4 tsp. vanilla in a small bowl until smooth. Add up to 1 Tbsp. buttermilk, if desired. Drizzle warm glazes over cooled cakes.
Happy Sunday!! Wishing you amazing week ahead!
Happy first Sunday of 2018, #friendsofTenaciousM!