Vanilla and espresso are the special ingredients in this easy to make recipe that’s sure to tantalize chocolate lovers. #forchocolatelovers, #chocolatefriendsofTenaciousM enjoy!
Recipe makes 1 – 9 inch pie
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Crisco Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
3 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup Crisco Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts or pecans
1. Spoon flour into measuring cup and level. Mix flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in Crisco using pastry blender (or 2 knives) until all flour is blended in to form pea-size chunks. Sprinkle with water, one tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with fork until dough will form ball. Divide dough in half, if making double crust. Press between hands to form a 5 to 6-inch pancake.
2. Flour dough lightly. Roll into circle between sheets of waxed paper on dampened countertop. Peel off top sheet. For single crust, trim one inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Flip into pie plate. Remove other sheet and press pastry to fit. Fold edge under. Flute.
3. Make the filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, blend CRISCO® and sugar at medium speed until light
and fluffy. Blend in eggs, one at a time.
4. With a wooden spoon, stir in melted chocolate, espresso powder and vanilla until smooth. Add flour and nuts and stir until combined.
5. Assemble the pie: Transfer filling mixture to pie crust. Bake 25 minutes. Cool pie completely on a cooling rack, then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.