These chocolate Italian cream bars will surely melt in your mouth. They are delicious and well worth the effort.
Yields: 36 bars
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
1 package(s) (17.5 ounces) sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup(s) cocoa baking powder
1/2 cup(s) butter or margarine, melted
1 large egg
2/3 cup(s) toasted chopped pecans
1/2 cup(s) sweetened flaked coconut
1 package(s) (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup(s) whipping (heavy) cream
1 block(s) (8-ounce) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup(s) chocolate syrup
2 cup(s) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 .Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil. Let some foil hang over the edges. Set aside.
2. Stir cookie mix and cocoa powder in large mixing bowl until well mixed. Add butter and egg, stirring until soft dough forms. Add pecans and coconut; knead to combine.
3. With wet fingers, press dough evenly over prepared baking pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes or just until set. Cool completely.
4. Place chocolate chips and whipping cream in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until melted and the mixture is smooth. Spread 1 cup evenly over cooled cookie base.
5. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and chocolate syrup at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add whipped topping and beat until light and fluffy. Spread cheese mixture evenly over ganache layer. Carefully spread remaining ganache evenly over cheese filling.
6. Refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Lift bars with foil handles. Run wet knife around edges of cookie to peel off foil. Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator.