Pineapple, banana and mango transform your usual brownie into a tropical dessert! Grilled fruit and caramel topping make this a distinctive treat – ready in 40 minutes!
Prep Time 25 min Total Time 40 min Servings 12
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 medium pineapple (3 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (3 cups)
3 medium mangoes, cut lengthwise in half, pitted and cut into 1-inch chunks (3 cups)
4 medium firm bananas, cut into 1-inch slices (3 cups)
12 brownies (3-inch square), cut diagonally in half
1 cup caramel topping
1. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Mix butter, orange juice and brown sugar in small bowl.
2. Thread pineapple, mango and banana pieces alternately on each of twenty-four 10-inch skewers, leaving space between each piece. Brush fruit with butter mixture. Grill fruit uncovered 4 to 5 inches from medium-low heat 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently and brushing with butter mixture, until fruit is lightly browned.
3. To serve, arrange 2 brownie triangles on each plate. Remove fruit from skewers and arrange around and over brownies. Drizzle with caramel topping.
* If using bamboo skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes before using to prevent burning.
* Make the butter mixture, and transport it in a small container. Bring the cut-up mango and pineapple in a separate container. So the bananas don’t turn brown, wait to cut them until you’re ready to thread the fruit on the skewers and grill.
* If you’re going to serve this at home, try substituting sorbet, frozen yogurt or ice cream for the brownies.
* Buy “green tip” bananas, which are ripe but still firm enough to withstand grilling. The grilling brings out the natural sweetness.