Africa produces around 70% of all cocoa beans so no wonder chocolate is popular here. Try this authentic South African Chocolate Crunchies recipe to bring a bit of culture and sweetness to your home!
Prep time › 10 mins
Cook time › 20 mins
Serves › 24 squares
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup margarine
2 tbsp syrup
1 tsp baking soda
Ingredients for Icing:
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients for the crunchies, except for the baking soda.
3. Melt the butter and syrup together. Mix in the baking soda.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients, mix well.
5. Press into a medium sized greased baking pan, about 10 by 8 inches. Use the back of a spoon to press the mixture together and smooth the top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 F.
7. In a bowl, mix together the icing ingredients.
8. Put in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
9. Pour the hot icing over the hot crunchies to cover their entire surface.
10. Cut into squares when cool.