Elegant, showstopper desserts don’t come much easier than this. Each slice resembles fine pastry.
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 cups milk
4 large eggs
1/2 cup butter
2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup bourbon
64 chocolate wafers (about 1 1/2 [9-oz.] packages)
Sweetened Whipped Cream
Garnish: crushed chocolate wafers
1. Place cornstarch in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in milk and eggs.
2. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat, and stir in brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until mixture bubbles and becomes shiny.
3. Gradually whisk cream into butter mixture. (Mixture will bubble and clump but will get smooth as it cooks.) Cook, whisking constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until smooth.
4. Gradually whisk about one-fourth of hot butter mixture into egg mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Gradually add egg mixture to remaining hot butter mixture, whisking constantly.
5. Increase heat to medium-high. Add vanilla and salt, and cook, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and just begins to bubble. Remove from heat, and stir in bourbon. Place plastic wrap directly onto warm filling (to prevent a film from forming). Cool completely (about 2 hours).
6. Place 16 cookies in a single layer on bottom of a 9-inch square pan. Spread 1 1/2 cups pudding over cookies. Repeat layers 3 times, using remaining pudding on top layer. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours. Just before serving, top with Sweetened Whipped Cream.