This is an easy cake to make. This is not a high-rising cake at all. After spreading the batter out in the pan it is only abut 1 to 2 inches high, and it will not rise much more during baking. Don’t worry about this because it is a snacking cake, not a layer cake, and it comes out just fine.
Ingredients – Cake
8 whole graham crackers, finely ground (about 1 cup)
¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
6 tbsp (¾ stick) butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup milk
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used mini choc chips)
Ingredients – Frosting
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
½ cup confectioners sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup marshmallow fluff
Preparation – Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out any extra (or use baking paper like I did).
3. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, add a third of the flour mixture, then half of the milk, stirring until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
7. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
8. Invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up to cool completely.
Preparation – Frosting
1. Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
2. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the vanilla and the marshmallow fluff and beat until smooth.
3. Use immediately or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Cut the cake into squares and serve each one with a dollop of frosting on top. (Bring the frosting back to room temperature first if it has been stored in the fridge).
4. Store any uneaten cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
5. Makes one 8 inch square cake.
Delicious cake, yummy recipe! 🙂
Thanks for the shout out! Let me know how they work for you.
You are welcome! 🙂