Chocolate Shoofly Pie is a moist, delicious pie with a gooey bittersweet chocolate bottom to it. This is the most authentic in flavor that I’ve ever tasted. Serve this pie with homemade vanilla bean ice cream and a hot cup of coffee or tea, snuggled up by the fireplace with someone you love.
1 (9 inch) pie shell
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter flavored shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 cup unsulfured molasses
3/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour and brown sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture for topping the pie.
3. In a large bowl, combine egg, molasses, cold water, and remaining crumb mixture. Mix thoroughly. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to molasses mixture. Mix well.
4. Spread chocolate chips across bottom of pastry-lined pie pan. Pour filling over chocolate chips. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until filling is set.