I had no idea, all along while I was making and enjoying these AMAZING brownies, that they harbored a secret past. They had a secret life that I knew nothing about. They have always been “Those Gooey Brownies” to me. Little did I know that Ole Gooey here was leading a double life under another name. Going around town, tempting people with it’s hidden secret. The other name? Knock Ya Naked Brownies. Say What? For shame! 😉
FOR THE CAKE:
1 box chocolate cake mix (I like Devil’s Food)
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING:
1 (11 oz.) bag caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Spray 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Note: stick with me in the directions here so you get everything layered the proper way. I promise this isn’t hard but we do have a few steps to get through first.
3.In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, 1 cup evaporated milk and melted butter. Mix until combined (batter will be thick)
4. Spread HALF of the batter into the baking pan (we’ll use that other half later)
5. Put baking dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. While it is baking, start making your caramel filling. In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, combine caramels with 1/3 cup evaporated milk.
6. Stir frequently until caramel is melted and smooth.
7. When brownie bottom is finished baking (it will only be partially baked), take out of oven and sprinkle with 2 cups chocolate chips.
8. Then drizzle with prepared caramel sauce.
9. Take the rest of the cake batter and drop by the teaspoonful onto caramel layer.
10. No need to be neat about spreading it out. If you want you can take your spoon and gently cover any big gaps in the topping but most of it will spread while baking. Look at all that caramel peaking through there…these really are so good y’all.
10. Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes (until the center is set.)