This is a chocolate version of the traditional Italian cream cake with coconuts and pecans folded into the batter and a rich, thick chocolate cream cheese filling and frosting.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
5 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting
Garnish: pecan halves
1. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; set aside.
2. Beat butter and shortening until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
3. Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in coconut, chopped pecans, and vanilla. Fold in egg whites. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
4. Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove cake layers to wire racks, and cool completely.
5. Spread Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.